Part Time (.5) Permanent Position
Start date June 19, 2017
YOUTH SCHOOL-BASED PROGRAM
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
PORTAGE LA PRAIRE, MB
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors.
Reporting to the Youth School-based Supervisor, the incumbent will provide AFM services within designated middle years schools in the Portage la Prairie School Division. The focus of this position is to deliver educational workshops to the students in grade 7 and 8. Incumbent will also be responsible for conducting individual assessments; individual and group counselling; development of interventions, treatment plans and continuing care services targeting a youth population. Incumbent will also be responsible for developing and delivery of educational workshops for parents and school personnel. This position interacts extensively with students, school personnel, social services, other professionals and parents/guardians. Some evening work may be required.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will work as a member of the Youth School-based team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of Youth in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to youth whose primary concerns are alcohol and drugs.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in French will be considered an asset. Availability to work occasional evenings may be required. The incumbent will be required to travel therefore, must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2017-026
Salary Range: $54,716 – $65,666 per annum ($28.93 – $34.72/hr.)
(Potential to move to a maximum of $37.37 per hour with specific qualifications)
Closing Date: May 8, 2017
Apply in writing to:
Youth (Eastern and Central Manitoba)
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
200 Osborne St. North
Fax: (204) 204-772-8077
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE