Full Time Permanent Position
Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Rapid Access to Addictions Medicine Clinic (RAAM)
RIVER POINT CENTRE
146 Magnus Avenue, Winnipeg
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor and working within an integrated multi-disciplinary team and in partnership with other service providers, nurses are required to provide services to adult clients seeking addiction treatment. This position requires a commitment to a client-centered philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services.
The Nurse will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively with numerous colleagues to ensure a consistent “AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of adults in addictions treatment.
- Triages and conducts holistic baseline assessments of client needs.
- Supports clients with system navigation.
- Implements the planned care of clients including all aspects of nursing procedures and therapies.
- Orders, prepares and administers prescribed medication as required.
- Maintains timely, clear and concise documentation in caseload files.
- Networks and liaises with community agencies regarding clients treatment needs.
- Provides supportive individual counselling and general education to clients.
- Responds to crisis situations including mental health concerns.
- Provides clients with harm reduction materials and education.
- Arranges for clients to be sent to emergency departments if medically necessary.
- Connects clients to primary care providers if they do not have one.
- Meets administrative requirements with respect to correspondence, statistics, activity reports, attendance.
- May participate on committees, teams or working groups at the local, regional, provincial or national level.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Registered and licensed to practice in Manitoba with a Bachelor of Nursing (BN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) or Registered Nurse (RN). Possess a valid C.P.R. certificate; minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a comparable nursing role and a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience with individual counselling. Proven knowledge of current nursing theory and practice; demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills contributing to a positive and professional multidisciplinary team environment are essential. Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills and the ability to function in a demanding and fast paced environment. Working knowledge and management of concurrent disorders; strong working knowledge and experience with addictions and mental health. Experience with Opioid Agonist Therapies (OAT) and asset. Excellent organization and time management skills including the ability to handle multiple duties in a very fast-paced environment. Proficient with computers, software programs, Windows and Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook, and databases. Experience with Accuro is an asset. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in Indigenous languages, as well as French is considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Nurse opportunity are:
- Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Interpersonal Rapport
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Mental Health Issues, Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Direct care workers are required to either be vaccinated for Covid-19 or to participate in on-going regular Covid-19 testing pursuant to Orders made under the Public Health Act C.C.S.M. cP210. Successful applicants will be notified at the time of offer of the applicability of this requirement for this position.
Competition Number: 2021-228
Salary Range: $36.16 – $43.59 per hour (under review)
Closing Date: December 16th, 2021
Apply in writing with cover letter and resume to:
Director, River Point Centre
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba 146 Magnus Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R2W 2B4 Fax: (204)582-2062
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE