Full Time-Permanent Position
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Eaglewood Addictions Centre, Thompson, MB
90 Princeton Drive
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Residential Programs, the Rehabilitation Counsellor provides a wide variety of AFM services for Thompson and the surrounding area. The focus of this position is to provide counselling, education, and support services to individuals, families and the community related to alcohol, drugs and gambling, with the capacity to work in other program areas as required. This position requires a commitment to a client-centered philosophy and approach to the development, provision, and support of AFM programs and services.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will work as a member of the Residential team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent AFM approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of adults in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are alcohol and drugs.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex system of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem-solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in French will be considered an asset. The ability to communicate in Cree will also be considered an asset. A valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and travel to outlying communities may be required.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
This position may require the ability to work some evenings and varying hours.
From this competition a three month eligibility list will be established for term and casual positions within the same program, work location and job classification.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2021-187
Salary Range: $29.51 to $35.42 per hour (under review) plus remoteness allowance if Applicable
(Potential to move to a maximum of $38.12 per hour with specific qualifications)
Closing Date: October 29, 2021
Apply in writing to:
Director, Northern Area
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
90 Princeton Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 0L3
Fax: (204) 677-7328
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE