ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Eaglewood Addictions Centre in Thompson, MB
90 Princeton Drive
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the In-House Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for preparing and cooking meals for clients at Eaglewood Addictions Centre in Thompson. This position requires a commitment to a client-centered philosophy and approach to the development, provision, and support of AFM programs and services. Hours of work will normally be 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position requires the ability to work weekends.
Cooks will work as members of the team and demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Commitment to fostering a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment for clients.
- The ability to balance his/her needs with the needs of clients, other staff persons, and those of the organization.
- Ability to model, teach and create opportunities for clients to enhance their interpersonal, problem solving, emotional management and daily living skills.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely, and flexible manner.
- Ability to contribute to an effective, positive team environment through an appreciation for an inter-disciplinary approach, solution focused problem solving, and open, direct communication.
- A strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Adheres to menu plan and recommended food portions.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of meals for clients with an emphasis on nutrition, freshness, attractiveness and variety.
- Assists in preparation of meals for clients with special dietary requirements.
- Assists in menu planning and recipe development, utilizing standard metric recipes.
- May be responsible for checking supplies and groceries received in the work area.
- Assists in the cleaning of the kitchen area and general maintenance of equipment and inventory control.
- May participate on committees, teams or work groups at the local, regional, provincial or national level.
- Abides by the AFM’s Code of Professional Practice and maintains professional conduct at all times.
- Communicates effectively with clients, staff, suppliers and general public.
- Responsible for fully cooperating in efforts to improve client safety and eliminating potential risks by adhering to food preparation in accordance with Food Safe guidelines.
- Responsible for supporting and following established Workplace Safety and Health policies and procedures.
- Responsible for protecting the health and well-being of staff, clients, visitors and community by following established infection prevention and control policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Completion of a recognized cooking course at the technical or community college level.
- Good knowledge and experience with the principles of quantity cooking especially for vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, baked goods.
- Good knowledge and experience with food service sanitation standards, kitchen safety, and personal hygiene.
- Must be physically capable of performing duties assigned including the ability to lift and carry weights of up to 40 lbs.
- Good communication skills to work in a therapeutic environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Valid CPR and First Aid is an asset.
- Food Handlers Certificate required.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
- The incumbent must have the ability to deal effectively with staff and clients. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential.
- Knowledge of the addictions field is an asset.
- Fluency in English (French verbal and written an asset).
The Competencies for the Cook 1 opportunity are:
- Crisis Intervention
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Client Service Orientation
It is AFM’s practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition #: 2021-156
Salary Range: $16.54 – $19.37 per hour (under review)
Closing Date: Open until filled
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
Director, Northern Area
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
Eaglewood Addictions Centre
90 Princeton Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 0L3
Fax: (204) 677-7328
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE