Full Time Permanent Position
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
1031 Portage Avenue
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that is committed to being a foundation of excellence in providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors. AFM employs over 400 staff and provides a wide range of addictions services to Manitobans through 28 locations across the province.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, this position provides day to day leadership in Finance and the Payroll department with a compliment of six (6) direct reports and contributes to the overall success of the organization by effectively supporting the implementation of all finance and payroll related policies and activities. In addition, the incumbent assists the Director, Finance with financial reporting, budgeting, and management of contracts and assets. The incumbent demonstrates both the autonomy and collaboration skills needed to advance the organization’s purpose, and the leadership to inspire confidence of all internal and external stakeholders.
The Finance Officer will demonstrate competence in the following:
- A strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to build relationships by communicating respectfully and positively in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Ability to speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Ability to respond to requests in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple duties and tasks effectively and efficiently, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Ability to respond positively to supervision, adjust priorities and work goals as necessary while maintaining a calm demeanor when working under changing conditions and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take initiative in handling routine matters and inquiries, demonstrating diplomacy and experience to develop potential solutions, and understanding when to seek direction.
- Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations to resolve the problem.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Ensures that the privacy and confidentiality of all matters and relationships are maintained.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “one AFM” approach.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure that all processes and policies related to payroll are executed appropriately and in a timely manner and operates as the escalation point to resolve issues; provides ongoing guidance and direction to direct reports and is responsible for all aspects of supervision, including performance management and completing performance reviews.
- Support the budgetary planning and cost management of the organization to ensure alignment with the overall strategic plan. Assist the Director, Finance to ensure all AFM Program Directors are working to the approved budgets through a collaborative practice.
- Assist the Director, Finance with the preparation of information for the annual audit. Maintain financial accounting systems for asset management, cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and petty cash. Assist with the documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Maintain the fixed asset register for the organization including acquisitions, disposals, and reporting. Assist the Director, Finance in capital planning, project costing, and purchase evaluations as required.
- Ensure complete and accurate recording of capital leases including contract review, initial set-up, account reconciliations, and balance sheet presentation.
- Support the Director, Finance with safety and security project program. Coordinate funding submissions, approval process, project management, and reporting.
- Assist the Director, Finance to develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Review employee expense claims for accuracy and compliance to appropriate policy and guidelines. Confirm details with claimants as required including verification of original receipts, required approvals, and proper documentation.
- Prepare various reports for internal and external stakeholders as required.
- Completion of a recognized accounting designation such as CPA (CA, CGA or CMA).
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in financial management at an intermediate level.
- A minimum of three (3) years payroll experience and demonstrated knowledge and experience with payroll legislation, policies and procedures.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment; with interpersonal skills and qualities necessary to generate enthusiasm, integrity and build consensus with direct reports and fellow staff members.
- Knowledge and experience with collective agreements; experience working in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting non-profit organizations.
- Ability to effectively supervise direct reports and work as a member of that team and organize work activities and assist in managing the workload and setting priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with using computers; including Microsoft applications Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Proficiency with computerized financial systems; experience with the SAGE system would be considered an asset.
- Quality and process improvement experience in a participatory setting.
- Knowledge of the addictions field would be considered an asset.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition #: 2018-011
Salary Range: Out of Scope – salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Closing Date: Wednesday, April 25th, 2018
Apply in writing to:
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
3 – 1031 Portage Avenue
Fax: (204) 944-7082
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.