POLICY ANALYST & COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Part Time (0.5) – 18 Month Term Position
1031 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Policy Analyst & Communications Coordinator conducts and manages research and policy analysis projects, evaluates the effects of existing polices and provides strategic advice and recommendations to senior management on policy, program and service issues primarily related to Human Resources, Finance and Board Governance. In addition, this position is responsible for coordinating media relations and responses, developing a social media strategy for the agency as well as coordination and development of the annual report and other internal and external communications.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to lead and participate in a collaborative work environment.
- Competence in delivering presentations to a variety of groups, including Board of Governors.
- Exceptional writing, problem-solving, consensus-building, and interpersonal skills to establish credibility with leadership and staff and be a skilled media and social media tactician.
- Able to take complex issues and transform them into clear communications for multiple audiences.
- High degree of professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with people at all levels.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities and responds positively to supervision and constructive feedback.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Provides leadership, direction and expertise to management and staff with regards to policy creation, interpretation and maintenance.
- Reviews, evaluates and advises the agency on the feasibility of major policy and ensures consistency of application with intended policy.
- Suggests policy and process alternatives, recommendations and methods to achieve established objectives.
- Consults with inter-departmental and inter-jurisdictional contacts to gather and share information concerning policies and processes.
- Identifies and prepares initial drafts of new policies and procedures, including the on-going review of current policies and procedures and solicits feedback and participation by those affected by these decisions.
- Prepares and presents related material for management approval.
- Prepares reports, perform complex analysis and conduct research in relation to policy administration.
- Uses analytical skills to identify, analyze and interpret current trends and emerging policy legislation
- Handle general communications, including media relations, social media, community/stakeholder relations, and other outreach support.
- Perform other related duties and special projects, including taking the lead on projects as assigned.
- Works collaboratively with others within AFM’s policy framework and other relevant functional areas.
- Degree in Business or Public administration, Communications, Public Relations, Health Sciences, Social Sciences or a related field and a minimum of 2 years progressive and recent, related experience* (if Master’s degree is obtained, then a minimum of 1 years of progressive and recent, related experience * is required) OR
- Diploma in Business or Public administration, Communications, Public Relations, Health Sciences, Social Sciences or a related field and a minimum of 4 years progressive and recent, related experience – equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience in researching and interpreting policies and legislation.
- Proficient in Social Media, Outlook and Microsoft office (Word, Excel and Power Point)
- Strong research and evaluation skills are required.
- Be detail oriented, use critical thinking to make inferences, and have the ability to work under pressure, multi-task and adhere to strict timelines in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Have the ability to liaise with individuals at all levels of the agency, other jurisdictions, and the general public.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields is considered an asset.
The competencies for this position include:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2017- 063
Salary Range: Out of scope – salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Closing Date: August 25, 2017
Apply in writing to:
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
3-1031 Portage Avenue
Fax: (204) 944-7082
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE