Full Time Permanent Position
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
COMPASS RESIDENTIAL YOUTH PROGRAM
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors. The AFM Compass Residential Youth Program is a 14-bed facility located 4 kilometres south of Portage la Prairie in Southport, Manitoba.
Reporting to the Program and Clinical Supervisors, the Rehabilitation Counsellor provides individual and group counselling to youth experiencing concerns related to alcohol and drug use; works with significant others including parents and guardians, liaises with community agencies; service coordination, education and support for clients and families, carries out referrals, program development and documentation. This position requires a commitment to a client-centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services. Hours of work are 8:30am to 4:30pm. Counsellors participate in an on-call rotation requiring the ability to respond within 45 minutes to the facility. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will work as a member of the Compass Residential team and demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognition of the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Collaboration in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of youth in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to youth whose primary concerns are alcohol and drugs.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Manages caseload of youth with complex needs
- Provides individual and group-based psycho-education and counselling
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counseling experience; working in the addictions field an asset. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex system of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience working with youth in a residential setting and their families is an asset. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. A current First Aid/CPR Certificate is required. The ability to communicate in French is considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
From this competition a three month eligibility list will be established for term positions within the same program, work location and job classification.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2017-078
Salary Range: $54,716 – $65,666 per annum ($28.93 – $34.72/ hr)
(Potential to move to a maximum of $37.37 per hour with specific qualifications)
Closing Date: Sunday, October 22nd, 2017
Apply in writing to:
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
c/o 175 Nomad Street, Southport, MB R0H 1N1
Fax: (204) 428-6611
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE