Full Time Term Position to July 31, 2019
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Reporting to the In-House Supervisor, the In-House Intake Rehabilitation Counsellor provides a wide variety of services. The focus of this position will be providing in-house intake services for our 21-day Residential program. The primary duties of this position will be managing telephone intake and other telecommunications with adults seeking services, managing wait lists and referrals, maintaining accurate electronic and file records, in addition to other intake and counselling functions. This position requires a commitment to a client-centered philosophy and approach to the development, provision, and support of AFM programs and services.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will work as a member of the Residential and Community-Based team and will demonstrate the following:
• Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
• Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centered care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
• Demonstrates the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
• Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
• Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
• Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
• Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
• Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
• Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
• Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
• Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are substance use, gambling and/or family affected issues.
• Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
• Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
• Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
• Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
• Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
• Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in applied counselling with a minimum of two years supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in French will be considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
• Client- Centered Change
• Continuous Learning
• Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
• Effective Communication
• Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
• Planning and Organizing
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Case Management
• Crisis Intervention
• Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
Regular work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM however this position may require the ability to work weekends, evenings, and varying hours.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2018-046
Salary Range: $55, 264- $66, 238 per annum ($29.22 – $35.07/hr.)
Closing Date: August 20, 2018
Apply in writing to:
Director, Brandon & Surrounding Area
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
510 Frederick Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6Z4
Fax: (204) 729-3844
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for
further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE