Part-Time (.5) Term Position to June 30th, 2022
Tuesday – Friday 10:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
YOUTH SCHOOL-BASED PROGRAM
BRANDON SCHOOL DIVISION
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Community Based Supervisor, the incumbent will provide AFM services within the Brandon School Division. The focus of this position is to conduct assessments; develop treatment plans and provide evidence based treatment alongside existing school-based clinical teams to improve the well-being of students. This position interacts extensively with members from many systems in the High Fidelity Wrap Team as well as with members of individual student support teams including students, school personnel, other professionals and parents/guardians. In collaborating with these teams the incumbent works to create an integrated, highly individualized plan that includes the co-ordination of existing services, as well as the development of new or non-traditional supports to address complex mental health and addictions challenges. Incumbent may also be responsible for developing and delivery of educational workshops for students, parents and school personnel.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and team members
- Presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent AFM approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of Youth in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively and effectively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counseling experience. Experience working from a client-centered perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, client centered treatment planning and evidence based treatment. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral communication and documentation skills, Knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields are essential. Demonstrated ability to work within complex systems of services is required. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in French or an additional language will be considered an asset. Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends may be required. The incumbent will be required to travel therefore, must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Bio-psycho- social assessment focused on addiction
- Treatment planning using Client Centred Change model
- Evidence based clinical treatment
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency & Mental Health
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Working effectively within multi-disciplinary teams
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2020-051
Salary Range: $29.51 – $35.42/hr. (under review)
(Potential to move to a maximum of $38.12 per hour with specific qualifications)
Closing Date: Sunday July 5, 2020
Apply in writing with cover letter and resume to:
Director, Parkwood Brandon and Surrounding Area
510 Frederick Street Brandon, MB R7A 6Z2
Fax: (204) 729-3844
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE