Building Service Worker
Part-Time (0.5) Indefinite Term
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Willard Monson House
540 Central Ave, Ste. Rose du Lac
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Building Service Worker provides building maintenance and facility support. The position is primarily responsible for responding to maintenance requests while attending to the safe and effective operation of the buildings automation, mechanical and electrical systems, as well as carrying out a planned maintenance program, and assisting the management team achieve its customer, financial and organizational objectives. This work is characterized by a requirement of physical exertion and the ability to perform certain duties requiring manual dexterity.
The Building Service Worker will work demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and present self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to maintenance requests in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to consider the needs of clients, other staff persons and the organization when making decisions within the role.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Responsible for a variety of manual and mechanical skill-related duties.
- Conducts daily facility reviews.
- Performs preventative maintenance and/or repairs associated with HVAC systems.
- Performs daily housekeeping/maintenance, including painting, monitoring and emptying of recycling bins/garbage and minor repairs.
- Performs grounds maintenance such as snow clearing, shoveling of sidewalks and entrances, lawn and yard maintenance, including mowing, lawn edging, fertilizing and basic tree trimming.
- Responsible for the maintenance of furnishings and equipment, including snow blower, lawn mower, weed whip, other small-engine equipment; included is the use and maintenance of drills, electric saws, etc.
- Coordinates orders and picks up building supplies when requested or as needed.
- Provides documentation according to role requirements.
- The incumbent may participate in capital projects as required.
Qualifications: Completion of Grade 12 education and 3 year’s related experience. Suitable combination of education and experience working in a residential facility, related employment experience and/or volunteer work will be considered; Class 5 Power Engineering Certificate would be viewed as an asset; strong mechanical background with practiced motor and troubleshooting skills; must show the ability to work within and contribute to a positive team environment; experience in purchasing goods and services; a working knowledge of workplace safety practices and requirements, including WHMIS; a valid Manitoba Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle; demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email; ability to set up and operate all equipment and/or machines common to the trade; must be physically capable of performing the duties especially with respect to lifting and furniture moving; outstanding work ethic with exceptional discipline, attendance and safety record; willingness to take initiative and ability to work independently with limited supervision; knowledge of the addictions field is considered an asset . An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, French will be considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Building Service Worker opportunity are:
- Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Creativity and Innovation
- Self-Motivation and Drive
- Interpersonal Rapport
- Client Centred Service
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
It is an AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates
Competition No.: 2020-020
Salary Range: $17.98-$21.00 per hour (under review)
Closing Date: March 2, 2020
Apply with cover letter and resume to:
Supervisor, Willard Monson House
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
540 Central Ave
Ste. Rose du Lac MB R0L 1S0
Fax: (204) 447-4050
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba values diversity and lived experience