.50 Part-Time Term (until June 2022) Position
Monday, Tuesday & alternating Wednesdays 8:30am-4:30pm
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Rapid Access to Addictions Medicine Clinic (RAAM)
River Point Centre
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor, working with an integrated multi-disciplinary team and in partnership with other service providers, the Rehabilitation Counsellor provides treatment services to adult clients seeking addiction treatment. This position requires a commitment to a client-centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services.
The incumbent will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and directors.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Recognizes the importance of regular supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent AFM approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of adults in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client/centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are alcohol, drugs and/or gambling.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques/coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by the Supervisor and/or Director.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
- Provides brief intervention support and short term counselling to clients.
- Provides education, tools and resources and helps guide clients with navigating systems to best fit with client needs.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s Degree in the Social Sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in Applied Counselling with a minimum of two years supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience). Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and documentation skills. Knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex system of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective is essential. Training and /or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques and experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within, and contributing to, a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. Demonstrated understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. Fluency in English; (French verbal/written and or fluency in Ojibway/Cree an asset).
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
- Understanding of Co-occurring Disorders
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates
Salary Range: $29.51 – $35.42 per hour (under review) Potential to move to a maximum of $38.12 with certain qualifications
Closing Date: May 6, 2021
Apply in writing with resume and cover letter to:
Director, River Point Centre
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
146 Magnus Ave
Winnipeg, MB R2W 2B4
Fax: (204) 582-2062
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE