Full-Time Permanent Position
Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Director, the Office Assistant is responsible for the provision of office and administrative support for a variety of programs serving men, women and families. The office assistant will be located in a busy reception area and is expected to handle a variety of work assignments in a professional and efficient manner which will include such duties as correspondence, coding of invoices, mail duties, file systems management, support to the Director, and reception. The Office Assistant may be required to orient other office staff and serve as ‘back up’ coverage for other office support positions.
The incumbent will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Ability to provide a welcoming, safe and supportive atmosphere to all individuals inquiring about our services.
- Understands and demonstrates a client centered approach.
- Demonstrates effective active listening and communications skills;
- Ability to take initiative in handling routine matters and inquiries, demonstrating common sense and use of past experience to develop potential solutions, understanding when to seek direction.
- Ensures that the privacy and confidentiality of staff and client information and relationships are maintained.
- Is coachable and adaptable — adjusts priorities and work goals as necessary while, maintaining a calm demeanor, when working under changing or unclear conditions.
- Is able to manage multiple duties and tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Provide office support as assigned in a professional manner. This includes responsibility for the formatting and lay out, accuracy, proofreading of documents.
- Coordinates communication of assigned area job postings.
- Provide reception services for staff, clients and general public including greeting clients/staff/public, completing registrations, scheduling of exams, processing payments and refunds, etc.
- Mail services including accepting mail at the front desk, sorting, sending, and distributing.
- Participate in special projects as assigned (e.g., this could include special events organization; compile information for monthly or annual reports).
- Maintain filing systems and database record management.
- Accessing records in the database and ensure accuracy.
- Track employee attendance.
- Code and sort invoices.
- Participate in regular office procedures including photocopying, faxing information, answering information requests.
- Participate, as requested, on committees, team or work groups at a local or provincial level. Take minutes/notes on committees or at meetings.
- Abide by the AFM’s Code of Professional Practice and maintain professional conduct at all times. Cooperate in efforts to improve client safety and eliminating potential risks.
- Support and follow all AFM policies and procedures.
- Work collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of a recognized business or community college course in the secretarial/office administration area and three (3) years’ experience and/or a suitable combination of education and experience. Ability to handle a varied workload in an organized and efficient manner. Excellent communication skills including ability to compose routine correspondence on own initiative or non-routine correspondence with direction. Ability to work in a team environment and to work independently with general direction. Ability to handle reception duties and to deal effectively with staff, clients and the general public. Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher.) Ability to handle confidential material. Demonstrated understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations. Knowledge of addictions and mental health an asset. Fluency in English (French verbal and written an asset).
The Competencies for the Administrative Support opportunity are:
- Effective communication
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Client Service Orientation
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster collaboration and partnership
- Planning and Organizing
It is AFM practice to conduct a criminal and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition : # 2019-124
Salary Range: $21.19 – $24.33 per hour (under review)
Plus Remoteness allowance if applicable
Closing Date: September 20, 2019
Apply in writing to:
Director, Northern Area
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
90 Princeton Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 0L3
Fax: (204) 677-7328
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba values diversity and lived experience