Full Time Term Position
September 30, 2019 – March 31, 2020
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Winnipeg Drug Treatment Court (WDTC)
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
The Winnipeg Drug Treatment Court’s mandate is to break the cycle of drug use, criminal behaviour and incarceration through a therapeutic court for participants from diverse backgrounds struggling with drug dependence.
Reporting to the Director of Eastern and Central Manitoba programs, the Addictions Therapist conducts assessments, provides individual and group counselling to adults, develops intervention and recovery plans and delivers treatment programs. This position requires a commitment to a client- centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services.
The Addictions Therapist will work as a member of the AFM Eastern and Central Manitoba team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff and the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team clinical meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and facilitate both therapeutic and psycho educational group experience and learning.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are alcohol and drugs.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill & knowledge related to multiple therapeutic and clinical techniques including Motivational Interviewing.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by area Director.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Master’s Degree in one of: Counselling, Clinical Psychology, Marriage and Family therapy or related field with a minimum of two years supervised counselling experience. A suitable combination of education and experience will be considered. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of a wide range of therapeutic techniques and skills including Motivational Interviewing is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. Knowledge of the Criminal Justice and Courts system and familiarity with appropriate community resources and social services are assets. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. Fluency in English is required and French verbal and written is an asset.
The Competencies for the Addictions Therapist opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
- This position requires the ability to work weekends, evenings and varying hours.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
COMPETITION NO: #2019-126
SALARY RANGE: $32.91 – $39.85/hour (under review)
CLOSING DATE: September 23, 2019
APPLY IN WRITING WITH COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Director, Eastern and Central Manitoba
614 DesMeurons Street, Winnipeg, MB R2H 2P9
Fax: (204) 774-8091
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE