.5 PART TIME TERM POSITION
JUNE 2019 TO JUNE 24, 2020
PARKWOOD – BRANDON, MANITOBA
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Community Based Supervisor, the Community Addictions Worker provides a wide variety of AFM services to Brandon. The focus of this position is to provide counselling, education, and support services to individuals, families and the community related to alcohol, drugs and gambling, with the capacity to work in other program areas including our residential program as required. The position requires a commitment to a client centered philosophy and approach to the development, provision, and support of AFM programs and services.
The Community Addictions Worker will work as a member of the Brandon and Surrounding Area Community Based team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centered care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concern is Alcohol, Drugs, and/or Gambling.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Develops and delivers health promotion programs related to Alcohol, Drugs and/or Gambling and other programs as required.
- Facilitates AFM courses, presentations and training related to Alcohol, Drugs and/or Gambling and other program areas as required.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in applied counselling with a minimum of two years supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. The ability to communicate in French will be considered an asset. A Valid class 5 Drivers License and access to a reliable vehicle is required for this position.
The Competencies for the Community Addictions Worker opportunity are:
- Client-Centered Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Problem Gambling and process addictions
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
- Understanding of co-occurring disorders
This position may require the ability to work some evenings and varying hours.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
COMPETITION NO: 2019 – 082
SALARY RANGE: $29.51-$35.42 per hour (with the potential to move to a maximum of $38.12 with specific qualifications)
CLOSING DATE: June 23, 2019
APPLY IN WRITING WITH COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Director, Parkwood Brandon and Surrounding Area
510 Frederick Street Brandon, MB R7A 6Z2
Fax: (204) 729-3844
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE