.50 Permanent Part Time Position
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
Rapid Access to Addictions Medicine Clinic (RAAM)
7th Street Access Centre – 20-7th Street, Brandon, MB
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Brandon and Surrounding Area, and working with an integrated multi-disciplinary team and in partnership with other service providers; the Rehabilitation Counsellor provides treatment services to adult clients seeking addiction treatment. This position requires a commitment to a client-centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons, those of the organization as well a strong commitment to self-care.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent “One AFM” approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of adults in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are addictions, mental health and co-occurring disorders.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques and coaching skills.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Provides brief intervention support and short term counselling to clients.
- Provides education, tools and resources and helps guide clients with navigating systems to best fit with client needs.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience). Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge and experience of addictions and mental health and demonstrated ability to work within complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive and professional multidisciplinary team environment is required. Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking skills and the ability to function in a demanding and fast paced environment is required. Proficient with computers, software programs, and applications such as Windows and Word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential; the ability to communicate in Indigenous languages, including Ojibwe and Cree, as well as French is considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
This position will require the ability to work some evenings and varying hours.
From this competition a 6 month eligibility list will be established for term & casual positions within the same program, work location and job classification.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition Number: 2019-091
Salary Range: $31.67 – $38.12 per hour
Closing Date: June 24, 2019
Apply in writing to:
Director, Brandon & Surrounding Area
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba 510 Frederick Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6Z4 Fax: (204) 729-3844
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE