One Full-Time Term Position (March, 2019 – March 2020)
COMPASS YOUTH PROGRAM
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors. The AFM Compass Youth Program is a 14-bed facility located 4 kilometers south of Portage la Prairie in Southport, Manitoba.
Reporting to the Program Supervisor, Youth Care Workers are responsible for ensuring client safety and well-being, participating in client orientation and assessment processes, developing and implementing therapeutic interventions, delivering structured group-based educational and support programming, planning and delivering recreational programming, assisting clients in the classroom, contributing to ongoing treatment planning, crisis response, medication administration, ensuring facility safety, client transport, reception, and household/maintenance duties including food preparation. Commitment to a client centred philosophy and the ability to work as part of a team are essential.
Full-time positions involve a 4 on, 4 off shift rotation (two 7 AM – 7 PM, two 7 PM – 7 AM, 4 off). Casual positions involve a range of shifts.
Youth Care Workers work as members of the Compass inter-disciplinary team and demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and present self in an approachable, friendly manner.
- Genuine enthusiasm for client-centered care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Commitment to fostering a safe, healthy and nurturing environment for youth clients.
- Understanding of at-risk adolescents and commitment to strength-based approach in service delivery.
- Ability to create therapeutic relationships by offering a flexible, non-judgmental approach.
- Ability to model, teach and create opportunities for clients to enhance interpersonal, problem solving, emotional management and daily living skills.
- Ability to engage in physical activity and support clients to enhance their physical fitness and the development of positive recreation and leisure interests.
- Ability to offer therapeutic interventions and programming which take into account clients’ developmental level, interests, abilities and strengths.
- Ability to respond to potential crisis situations in a calm, effective manner.
- Ability to contribute to an effective, positive team environment through an appreciation for an inter-disciplinary approach, solution-focused problem solving, and open, direct communication.
- Commitment to ongoing individual development, openness to feedback and a willingness to engage in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Adhering to program supervision protocols and safety-related requirements (i.e. facility operation, recreation and outings, transport of clients, etc.).
- Supporting clients and families to feel welcomed and comfortable within the admission process.
- Contributing to team assessment of clients’ needs, strengths and issues to ensure the suitability of programming and services offered.
- Design, delivery and evaluation of therapeutic interventions to meet clients’ needs.
- Facilitation of a range of group-based programming including daily Community Meetings, information-based groups, recreation, team building activities, etc.
- Providing individualized support to clients in the classroom and other program areas.
- Administering medications as per physicians’ and standing orders.
- Providing reception and phone coverage as scheduled.
- Participating in the ongoing review and update of program materials and processes, and contributing to ongoing program improvement.
- Ensuring adherence to program protocols, agency standards and procedures, and Manitoba Child Care Facilities regulations, requirements and standards.
- Performing In Charge duties as assigned.
- Ensuring that required information is appropriately documented and shared within the team.
- Performing household and maintenance duties to ensure an orderly, clean and safe facility.
- Ensuring privacy and confidentiality of client information in compliance with The Personal Health Information Act.
- Participating on committees, teams or work groups as requested by supervisors.
A high school diploma and minimum of 2 years related experience and/or suitable combination of education and experience is required. Completion of the Child & Youth Care Certificate program or training in the social sciences is desirable. Other desired qualifications include: excellent communication and interpersonal skills; knowledge and experience in the areas of adolescence, at risk youth (i.e. FASD; ADHD; etc.), addictions and mental health; strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work well within an inter-disciplinary team; and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations. Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training and crisis response experience are also desirable. Availability for shift work, a valid Class 5 driver’s license and suitable driving record, current First Aid/CPR certification and excellent physical health to participate in recreation programming and building maintenance are required. The ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications is required. Fluency in English (French verbal and written an asset).
The Competencies for the Youth Care Worker opportunities are:
- Continuous Learning
- Crisis Intervention
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition #: 2019-015
Salary Range: $40,132 – $47,249 per annum ($19.23 – $22.64/hour)
Closing Date: February 22, 2019
Apply in writing to:
Director, Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
c/o 175 Nomad St.
Southport, MB R0H 1N1
Fax: (204) 204-428-6611
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE