RCW .4 position
Permanent Part-time (3 positions)
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
1041 Portage Ave. Winnipeg
The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown Agency that contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviors.
Reporting to the Supervisor of the Women’s Residential Treatment Program, Residential Care Workers provide client and facility support. These positions require a commitment to a client centred philosophy and approach to the development and support of AFM programs and client services.
The Residential Care Worker will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to consider the needs of clients, other staff persons and the organization when making decisions within the role.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Ability to interact with clients that can present as verbally aggressive.
- Provide support and be present where clients are.
- Respond warmly, politely and helpfully to everyone, including all visitors to the building.
- Respond appropriately to emergency crisis situations, modelling to clients how this is done in a positive way.
- Ability to work in an environment where traditional practices, such as smudging occur.
- Conduct facility orientations.
- Facilitation of educational sessions and client house meetings.
- Performing light housekeeping/maintenance.
- Building security duties.
- Coordination and distribution of client and program supplies.
- Copying program materials.
- Responding to telephone calls.
- Documentation according to role requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communication
- Grade 12 education.
- Suitable combination of education and experience working in a residential facility, addictions related employment experience and/or volunteer work.
- Experience working from a client centred perspective.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work within and contribute to a positive team environment.
- An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential.
- Valid CPR-C with AED training and First Aid certification are required prior to beginning work.
- Knowledge of the addictions field is required.
- Fluency in English (French verbal and written an asset).
The Competencies for the Residential Care Worker opportunity are:
- Client Centred Service
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
Note: Preference will be given to female applicants due to the nature of the client demographic.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2018-079
Salary Range: $17.05 – $21.34 per hour
Closing Date: September 23, 2018
Apply in writing to:
Eastern and Central Manitoba Programs & Women’s and Family Services
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
1041 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB. R3G 0R8
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
This posting may be used to develop an eligibility list for future RCW hiring.