On July 21, AFM experienced significant flooding at 1041 Portage Avenue, the site of AFM’s 36 bed Women’s In-House Program. This resulted in the need to relocate clients and staff from that facility.
AFM is pleased to share that the Women’s In-House Program will be relocating to the former Whispering Pines treatment facility (112 Beach Road East) in Teulon, MB. The site is approximately one-hour north of Winnipeg from 1041 Portage Avenue. The facility has up to 24 women’s beds. In addition, there is a lounge, dining room, a nurse’s station, exercise room, gym, group rooms and offices.
The Teulon site previously served as an in-house substance use treatment centre and is ideally suited to allow AFM’s Women’s Program to resume treatment and programming. Other sites were explored but this one was selected because it is ‘turn-key’ and could get women’s services up and running as soon as possible.
Please note, this site will serve as a temporary location for AFM’s Women’s In-House Program until all repairs are complete at 1041 Portage Avenue. Although timelines are not confirmed, we are estimating AFM’s return to the facility in 5-6 months. We will keep you updated.
Please note the following important information:
Gradual Re-Start to Women’s In-House Program:
- The first grouping of clients will move into the facility on Tuesday, September 3, 2019. We will have a gradual increase in clients throughout September.
Medical Admissions at River Point Centre:
- Medical admissions will be completed at River Point Centre (146 Magnus Avenue, Winnipeg) and once complete, clients will be transported to the AFM Teulon site.
- Clients who require transportation assistance will be transported by AFM from the River Point Centre location to the Teulon site and will be transported back by AFM to Winnipeg once their programming is complete.
- For questions about Intake and Assessment, please contact the Manitoba Addictions Helpline (1-855-662-6605)
- For questions about In-House Women’s Programming, please contact the Manitoba Addictions Helpline (1-855-662-6605)
- Any updates to AFM Women’s In-House Program will be posted to this page
We are very grateful for the patience of clients, families and referral sources as AFM has worked swiftly to find alternative spaces for women’s in-house services.