For Youth


Q: I am a student at a school with an AFM counsellor and I have some worries about my use of alcohol or drugs. How do I access your services? >

A: You can arrange a confidential meeting by contacting the AFM counsellor in your school. If you are not sure how to do that you can ask your guidance counsellor. The AFM counsellor will explain the available services and work with you to decide on what is best for you.

Q: I’m worried that my child might be getting into trouble with drugs. What should I do? >

A: The AFM counsellor in your child’s school would be happy to talk with you on a confidential basis. They can provide information on alcohol and drugs and they can assist you in developing an appropriate intervention strategy.

Q: I’m a student in a school where there is an AFM counsellor. My best friend has changed a lot lately and seems to have lost interest in things we used to do since he/she started smoking pot. Is there anything I can do? >

A: This is a tough spot to be in. You can contact the AFM counsellor in your school to talk about your concerns. It’s up to you whether or not you want to tell the counsellor your friend’s name. The counsellor can help you think through the issues and provide you with information to help you make the right decision for you and your friend.

Q: Lately I have been worrying a lot about dad/mom because he/she has been drinking a lot. Sometimes I even think I am responsible for him/her drinking so much. Is the AFM counsellor able to talk to me without my parents knowing? >

A: You are not responsible for your parents drinking, but the feelings you are experiencing are very common for young people who are growing up in a home affected by alcohol, drugs and problem gambling. It is very important to have a place where you can talk openly and get support. AFM counsellors can provide that. It is not necessary for your family to be aware of your involvement with an AFM school based counsellor. To learn more about alcohol, drugs or gambling problems and how to take care of yourself, contact your local AFM counsellor at your school.

DISCLAIMER: This website provides general information only and is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Every effort is made to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of posting. The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba is not responsible for and may not be in agreement with information provided by other websites that are linked to this site.